Sunday, December 4, 2016

We love the Marvel Cinematic Universe!

YEYETTE: Are you an Anti-American?
PEPE: Of course not! What made you say that?
YEYETTE: Then why did you write anti-American blogposts before?
PEPE: I am not anti-American. I just don't like their government and its imperialistic foreign policies.
YEYETTE: So, do you like America?
PEPE: The only thing I like about them is WWE, Marvel Comics, and Nirvana.
YEYETTE: LOL!

Ever since he was a kid, my hubby Pepe has been a Marvel Comics fan. He told me he spent much of his school allowance just to buy Marvel comic books, particularly The Punisher titles. He was always up-to-date with Marvel Comics' major story lines and at one time knew the real names of all its heroes and villains! To his childhood friends in Parañaque, he was the "Mr. Know It All" of the Marvel Comics Universe. No wonder why he writes and speaks better in English compared to his native languages (Tagálog and Spanish)!

But nowadays. comic books are not as popular as before, and he has stopped collecting them since we got married. That is why when Marvel Studios started making movies based on Marvel Comics's characters and story lines, he has been telling me and our kids that he's never been so happy to see those fictional characters from his childhood come to life on the big screen!

Thank GOD we are starting to get back on track from our budget problems. We are starting to pay off all our debts bit by bit, thanks to my hubby's 13th month pay and his other sidelines. The extra money that we have left was to be spent on travelling and of course eating out and watching movies from time to time. And if the whole family should watch a movie, it should only be from Marvel Studios. We see to it that we never miss any Marvel Studios film, especially since my hubby is a Marvel Comics geek, and he has infected all our kids with his addiction, hehehe! We rarely watch movies from Hollywood. We'd rather stroll or go out of town.



Last November 16, we watched Doctor Strange on Imax. My hubby heeded Marvel Studios director James Gunn's advice, that this movie is better seen only through that film format. Actually, that date was the last day that Doctor Strange was available through Imax. Thank GOD again we were still able to watch it! It was a weekday so we had to wait for our kids to come home from school before going to SM Southmall which has the nearest Imax theater from our place (my hubby swore never to visit an SM mall again but this time he had no choice, hehehe!). It was our second time Imax experience. The first time was four years ago. Yes, you guessed it right, it was also a Marvel Studios film: The Avengers! Having experienced Imax for the second time feels really great. Watching Imax makes you feel as if you are part of the movie you are watching! The special effects of Doctor Strange was really incredible, as if you are watching a strange, colorful dream that is really happening! It was my first time to see a movie with a theme of virtual realities and alternate dimensions and it made me feel watching it again and again!

Dinner at Kenny Rogers Roasters before watching the film.

About to watch the last full show!

After the show while wearing our 3D glasses!


As of right now, Doctor Strange has a 91% rating by Rotten Tomatoes, but I have a much better rating for it: a perfect 10, even though Junífera Clarita kept on talking from time to time! There was a scene there where Dr. Stephen Strange (played by Benedict Cumberbatch) was being operated on by Christine Palmer (Rachel McAdams) and I was able to relate because I already had five ceasarian deliveries, that's why I know the feeling of being in an operating room with all that anesthesia shots and hallucinations that come with it, hahaha! Another emotional scene that really caught my attention was when The Ancient One (Tilda Swinton) was about to die. I couldn't help but share the whole script (I had to make my hubby Pepe look for it online, hahaha!):
DOCTOR STRANGE: What are you doing? You're dying! You have to return to your body now. You don't have time.
ANCIENT ONE: Time is relative. Your body hasn't even hit the floor yet. I've spent so many years peering through time, looking at this exact moment. But I can't see past it. I've prevented countless terrible futures. And after each one, there's always another. And they all lead here, but never further.
DOCTOR STRANGE: You think this is where you die?
ANCIENT ONE: Do you wonder what I see in your future?
DOCTOR STRANGE: No.
ANCIENT ONE: Yes. I never saw your future. Only its possibilities. You have such a capacity for goodness. You always excelled, but not because you crave success, but because of your fear of failure.
DOCTOR STRANGE: It's what made me a great doctor.
ANCIENT ONE: It's precisely what kept you from greatness. Arrogance and fear still keep you from learning the simplest and most significant lesson of all.
DOCTOR STRANGE: Which is?
ANCIENT ONE: It's not about you. When you first came to me, you asked me how I was able to heal Jonathan Pangborn. I didn't. He channels dimensional energy directly into his own body. He uses magic to walk. Constantly. He had a choice, to return to to his own life or to serve something greater than himself.
DOCTOR STRANGE: So, I could have my hands back again? My old life?
ANCIENT ONE: You could. And the world would be all the lesser for it. I've hated drawing power from the Dark Dimension. But as you well know, sometimes one must break the rules in order to serve the greater good.
DOCTOR STRANGE: Mordo won't see it that way.
ANCIENT ONE: Mordo's soul is rigid and unmovable, forged by the fires of his youth. He needs your flexibility, just as you need his strength. Only together do you stand a chance of stopping Dormammu.
DOCTOR STRANGE: I'm not ready.
ANCIENT ONE: No one ever is. We don't get to choose our time. Death is what gives life meaning. To know your days are numbered, your time is short. You'd think after all this time I'd be ready. But look at me, stretching one moment out into a thousand, just so I can watch the snow.
Please click here for the complete photo album and don't forget to LIKE US on Facebook! ¡Gracias!

We're so excited for the next Marvel Studios film, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, whose trailer came out earlier today! We're planning to watch it on Imax too! Time to save money for it. Because movie time is family time! =)

                                                 -Yeyette-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send us some love!